You may move only once every 10 years. Santi Express does it every day. Trust us!
By Sheryl Santi, President/Owner of Santi Express
Thank you to our customers and friends for such a positive response to the blog we sent out – When’s the Best Time to Move? We invite your ongoing feedback as we continue to do our best to provide you with helpful information to make every move smooth and successful.
Choosing the right mover can ensure a successful stress-free move … one without delays, lost or damaged items, unanticipated charges, or even worse, no mover at the last minute. Here is my advice on what steps to take to find the most reputable, professional company that is just the right fit for your needs.
- Seek out referrals. Ask people you trust who have had good experiences to recommend their movers. Friends, neighbors, business colleagues, realtors. Be sure you check that each company is insured and licensed locally, or nationally if you are moving across state lines. (the NYS Department of Transportation regulates movers in NYS / the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulates interstate moves) You do not want to hire what is known in the industry as a “rogue” mover. These types of movers are often unlicensed and dishonest. And do not make a decision based on price alone – without considering references and qualifications.
- Get written estimates. Make appointments for a representative of several moving companies to visit your home or office. To me, getting an in-home or on-premises written estimate is the most important aspect of choosing a mover. You must show them everything that you intend to move, including items in closets, attics, crawl spaces and garages. That will eliminate any surprises later on.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Are they an actual moving company or a broker? (Brokers serve as intermediaries and do not operate trucks or handle the move themselves. They sell the “job” to 3rd party movers.) Will your property remain in their possession throughout the move or will it be handed off to another company? How long have they been in business? Do they do background checks on their employees and do they use their own employees or day laborers? Will they guarantee you a delivery date? Do they provide pest and climate controlled storage should you need it?
- Consider local vs. long distance. If you are moving locally, it’s best to use a local company. You will be able to get top-notch references and will cut down on travel charges. For a long-distance move, look for a locally-based mover that has an affiliation with a national van line. That ensures that they can move you anywhere in the world; they require criminal background checks and drug testing on their employees; and the trucks pass quarterly safety inspections.
- Women know best. Keep in mind that hiring a woman-owned moving company means that you will get a higher standard of care, and a personal touch!
I’m just saying …
Need to know more? Please call or email me with any questions, for more moving advice, or for an estimate. And, if you have had a great experience using Santi Express, we would sincerely appreciate it if you would share that with friends or business colleagues who may need a moving company in the future.